Monday, October 8, 2018

10 Things You Might Not Know About Me

I thought I'd share some interesting and fun facts about myself with all of you, so that you can get to know me better.

Fact #1: I have a twin brother.

I grew up with my twin brother, and we got along really well. We actually staid together through college. I even wrote a high school essay about how everyone needs a twin. I remember talking to my mom once about being a parent of twins. She said something like, "It is nice when you both were older, since I knew you could help each other with things. The hardest time was when you were babies. There's a lot to do and think about with two infants. Sometimes, I just wanted to sit down and hold my babies, [but you two weren't exactly on the same page]." Now, even though my twin and I are different genders, many people automatically ask us, "Are you identical?" The answer to this question, is no, we are not identical or monozygotic (where twins develop from one zygote that splits). We are fraternal or dizygotic twins, meaning that there were two separate zygotes.





Fact #2: I attended public Montessori school from kindergarten through 12th grade.

I guess I had a slightly different education growing up. I remember learning math and grammar in elementary school through hands-on materials, like the stamp game and sentence structure shapes. When the teachers wanted us to be quiet and pay attention, they held up the peace sign. In Jr. High, there were a lot of group projects, educational camping trips, journal time, and community building activities. We even went on a trip to Andros Island in 8th grade, where we studied marine biology, sailing, and the history of the island. In high school, we had intercessions where we could learn about special topics for 2-weeks. Through these experiences, I was able to travel abroad and learn about the culture of France and the wildlife of Costa Rica. I also had the chance to live on a farm and learn sign language. Then, for my high school senior project, I analyzed Findlay Market and wrote a children's book about this Cincinnati landmark.




Fact #3: I played in a Steel Drum Band.

In Jr. High and High School, I played steel drums. I tried everything from the large, barrel-sized bass drums to the single leads, but my favorite type of drums were the doubles. In the band, we played all types of music, including Caribbean, Latin, Classical, Jazz, and Funk. Some of my favorite songs that we played were Bee's Melody, Cantina Band (from Star Wars), and La Cumparsita. I also have to acknowledge Bruce Weil, who was an amazing music teacher who directed the band.    


Fact #4: I recorded music with Bootsy's Collins.

My high school Steel Drum Band collaborated with Bootsy Collins on some funk songs. We were lucky that we were able to record songs with this member of the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame and funk music icon.



Fact #5: My Cousin is the Cincinnati Strongman and holds the World Record for the Farthest Washing Machine Throw. 

My cousin, Sean McCarthy, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest Washing Machine Throw of 15 feet nine inches. Maybe, one day I'll beat his record. 


 



Fact #6: My first job was a YASA (a.k.a. Jr. Lifeguard).

My first job with a paycheck was working as a YMCA Aquatic Safety Assistant (YASA). I remember doing most of the tasks that the lifeguards didn't want to do, like cleaning the pool, taking out the garbage, and getting in the cold outdoor pool in the morning to remove the pool cover. That summer was also the year of the cicadas, so I had to constantly sweep up living and dead cicadas from around the pool. It wasn't the most glamorous summer job. 

 


Fact #7: I rescued a little boy that I babysat at a neighbor's party.

In high school, after working as a YASA, I was able to become a lifeguard when I turned 16. That year, I also babysat my neighbor's two little boys. Around the 4th of July, there was neighborhood party at a house with a pool. I went after work and was sitting on the side of the pool, with my feet in the water. I was not even wearing a bathing suit. The younger of the boys I watched, who was probably about 3 years old, was jumping onto a noodle in the the pool. Then, very close to me, I see him jump and the noodle slip from his grasp. Maybe it was my lifeguard reflexes or the babysitter in me, but as he was going under the water, I quickly hopped in and picked him up. He was fine and then kept retelling everyone in the party about his rescue. 


Fact #8: I learned Tecktonik dance. 

At Hiram College, my friends taught me Tecktonik, a French electro dance. We had fun performing this style of dance at the Intercultural Forum Show. 





Fact #9: I own a vintage Suzy Perette dress.

Suzy Perette was a dress manufacturing company that made affordable versions of Parisian designs, including Dior's "New Look," in the 1950s-1970s. According to Paris in the Fifties: "For an ante of $2,000 and royalties, [Sidney Blauner of Suzy Perette] acquired the right to incorporate Dior's notions into dresses that retailed in the U.S. for $50-60." 



Fact #10: I finished a marathon without training for it. 

In grad school, my friend asked me, "Would you do a marathon with me?" So, I said sure. We signed up for the Sehgahunda Trail Marathon at Letchworth Park. I didn't really think much about it until the race day arrived. Needless to say, I was one of the last people to finish; however, I was proud of myself for accomplishing my goal of making each checkpoint and finishing the marathon. I learned a lot of lessons: 1) You should probably do a half-marathon before you try a marathon, 2) You should do a street marathon before you try a trail marathon, and 3) You should definitely train for a marathon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment