Thursday, October 13, 2016

Throwback Thursday: 2011 Biomedical Humanities Reflection

As an undergraduate at Hiram College, I minored in Biomedical Humanities. This interdisciplinary academic area involved scientific courses, service work, and medical humanities (the study of the intersection of medicine and humanities, such as philosophy, religion, literature, and the arts). For the Minor, I had to write a reflective essay on my experiences that helped me determine what I wanted to do after graduation, as well as present the piece to my peers. Now, I am currently in a similar situation to my senior year at Hiram, since I am hoping to defend my thesis in the upcoming spring. At this time in my life, I am often thinking about the future. However, on this #Throwback_Thursday, I decided to look back over my reflection on wanting to study Toxicology. Check it out at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9jdg-QyDgxHREFJVlR5cTQyczQ/view?usp=sharing. Reading back over this essay, which described my undergraduate enthusiasm for scientific research, study abroad experience in Guatemala, observations from shadowing healthcare workers, course work (ranging from Organic Chemistry to Humanities) that inspired me, and more, is reinvigorating. I can feel the energy and excitement from my younger self, and it makes me want to work hard to accomplish my goal of getting a PhD.    

No comments:

Post a Comment