Monday, February 20, 2017

The Montessori Philosophy and Grad School

“We shall walk together on this path of life, for all things are part of the universe and are connected with each other to form one whole unity.”--Maria Montessori     

The Montessori philosophy emphasizes the importance of group work and the value of community service. My public Montessori education from elementary school through high school taught me how to work hard, the significance of learning through personal experience, and that all people and the environment deserve respect. The lessons I learned as a Montessori student helped shape me into a kind and compassionate person with a positive attitude.

Montessori schools stress the importance of community building. Group projects are routinely included in class work and school activities, including camping. As a junior and senior high school student, I worked with others on classroom tasks, such as formal team debates on social issues (ex. women’s rights, racism, etc.), re-interpretative performances from “Romeo and Juliet, and the construction of a catapult for Physics. I also had to work with my classmates to set up tents in the wilderness, canoe down the Whitewater River, finish a high ropes course, and more. This academic work taught me the importance of communication and cooperation. I learned how to listen to my group members’ opinions and ideas, but also found that I needed to speak my own mind if I wanted to get a point across. When people successfully work together, goals are often accomplished or exceeded.



 I learned the the value of giving back to my world through community service through my Montessori education. I saw first-hand how simple tasks could positively impact others while performing over 200 hours of community service during high school (which was a graduation requirement). I spent a lot of time helping children and adults with special needs. I danced with a woman in a wheelchair at an Elvis impersonator concert, cheered for athletes at the state Special Olympics in Columbus, and helped a young boy make colorful music shakers in his art class. A little bit of encouragement or the simple act of listening can bring happiness to others. My volunteer work taught me the values of acceptance and compassion.



 Although I graduated from a Montessori school ten years ago, I continue to follow the Montessori philosophy as a Toxicology PhD student. As a trainee scientist, I often work with other researchers in order to promote scientific discovery. Some examples include teaming up with other graduate students in my lab to form an assembly line for in vivo experiments, sharing advice and tools with a virology expert at the U of R, quizzing younger students in preparation for the qualifying exam, and both learning and teaching laboratory techniques with other individuals. Additionally, I promote camaraderie amongst Toxicology students by organizing monthly team-building activities that encourage collaboration and communication. We strategized with each other at laser tag, used our problem-solving skills at “The Great Escape Room,” and worked together at “Pick Up the Parks.” As a volunteer at local events, I also try and give back to the community. I have recently helped the Healthy Baby Network of Rochester, assisted with a local golf tournament for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, and performed in a student production of “The Vagina Monologues” to raise money for Planned Parenthood. Service work helps me remember the big picture of “unity” and allows me to connect with many different people (such as a man who had a lung transplant, a group of female medical students, and members of a nonprofit group supporting women and children’s health). My Montessori education helped me become a collaborative, easy-going person and continues to inspire my actions.






No comments:

Post a Comment